Sunday, February 14, 2010

Icicles

With the recent snow storms I have had to do a lot of snow shoveling. In the midst of shoveling I began to notice many icicles forming on our gutters above our driveway. Some of these icicles were very large and must have weighed 20-30 pounds. Underneath the icicles were cars and also a walkway where most of us walk. As I fixated on the icicles with fascination I began to think about sin. You see, just like an icicle it starts out small and builds. The more snow that melts and re-freezes the bigger and heavier the icicle gets. The same is true in our lives, as we let more and more unrepentant sin build up in our lives it becomes a large heavy icicle that hangs over our heads ready to crush us.

These icicles presented a dangerous situation for the guys at the house and visitors who would come by. Something must be done about the icicles and something must be done about sin. The other day we moved the cars and worked together to safely knock down the icicles and pick up the pieces of broken ice. The danger of the icicles was then removed. In our own lives something must be done about sin. Jesus came not only to save us from the sin but to pick up the broken pieces in our lives. So in your life are their icicles? Is there sin that hasn't been dealt with that is turning into an icicle? I would encourage you to get on your knees and surrender to Jesus Christ. You might need some friends to help you break down your own icicles and to help you pick up the pieces.

The funny thing is two days later I walked outside and the icicles were back. Know that we are in a battle, know it is not us that sins but the sin nature that is in our flesh. May you keep your eyes fixed on Jesus Christ and may he bring freedom, healing, and victory over the sin that so easily entangles us!

So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. - Romans 7:17-19


1 comment:

  1. clever image. i like it. icicles are especialy dangerous when they attach themselves to power lines.

    ReplyDelete