Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Union

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me." - John 15:4

Love by its nature seeks union.

Union: the state of being joined or united or linked

We are seekers of union. We want to love and be loved. There is something inside each one of us that wants to be united with something. When God calls you into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ it isn't just something you "add on" to you current life. You are now in union with Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit that dwells inside of you. You are joined, united, and linked with the God of creation. You are now always together, you cannot be separated, nothing can break your union. Many times we lose sight of our union with Christ. Though it is an essential
part of our Theology it is many times forgotten. Our union with Christ is an amazing thing, it radically changes our perspective once we truly start to understand it. As the author Brennan Manning puts it,

"Until the love of God that knows no boundary, limit, or breaking point is internalized through personal decision; until the furious longing of God seizes the imagination; until the heart is conjoined to the mind through sheer grace, nothing happens. ...The revolutionary thinking that God loves me as I am and not as I should be requires radical rethinking and profound emotional readjustment."

Jesus, human words cannot bear the weight of Your mercy and compassion. My union with You is like being so attached that life seems impossible without You. Detached from You during my days of sour wine and withered roses was a shadow life. I have no sense of myself apart from You. My bones say thank You for this now moment. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment