Sunday, April 19, 2009

Chocolate Milk

This week my dad called me and wondered if I could teach Sunday School becuase he was going to be out of town. I said, "Sure thing, who am I teaching?" He replied with, "the seniors." It was then when I got excited! I realized I was probably going to be the student and they would be teaching me. I had a great time this morning with them going through the last part of Luke. This evening I also had the chance to speak to a local youth group. We went through the same passage of scripture and really talked about the Holy Spirit and the role it plays in our lives. I was trying to think of a great word picture for the youth group and thought back to something my pastor in Chicago shared. He said that the Holy Spirit is like chocolate milk. Which is pretty cool becuase I love chocolate milk! We are the milk and the hershey's syrup is the Holy Spirit. When the hershey's syrup is stirred the milk looks like chocolate milk. However, when the syrup is not stirred up it sinks to the bottom and the milk retains it's white color. There is still chocolate in the milk but you cannot see it.

In Luke 24:49 Jesus says "I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high." If you are a follower of Jesus Christ you have been clothed with power from on high, the Holy Spirit. There are many times we get caught up in the world and the busyness of life in which we leave the Holy Spirit at the bottom of our cup and our appearance starts to change. We start to forget we are God's children, that we have a responsibility to represent Christ in our home, work, school, and community. The milk doesn't drastically change color but it is a slow process. Satan's best attack is a "Slow Fade" to take our eyes off Jesus. Will you allow the Holy Spirit to be alive and active in your life? Keep your chocolate milk stirred so that others will see the Christ in you!

No comments:

Post a Comment